Applies to: All products
The message you receive may be of the format:
C:\Program Files\Serif\<SerifProduct>\<version>\Program\<SerifProduct>.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
For example: "C:\Program Files\Serif\DrawPlus\X5\Program\DrawPlus.exe is not a valid Win32 application".
This error message usually appears when a program is being installed onto a computer from a disc. If the disc is damaged, then the content doesn't copy in its entirety to the computer which would produce this error message. If this applies to you, you can follow the steps below:
- First, take the disc out of the disc drive in your computer. Inspect it closely for any smears, marks or scratches. Small marks can often be removed by wiping the surface of the disc gently with a clean, soft and thin cloth.
- Put the disc back into the drive and try the installation again.
- If this still doesn't work, you can attempt to access the content on the disc and put it onto your computer manually.
- To do this:
- First, create a destination folder by right-clicking on your desktop and choose New > Folder. Rename it with the name and version of the program you are trying to install.
- Next, locate the content. From the Start menu, select Computer/My Computer.
- Under Devices with Removable Storage, or similar, you will see an icon for your disc drive, or you may just see the icon for the program you are trying to install. See our example:
- Double-click to open the disc drive to select the program icon, or simply select it if you can see it already.
- A folder will open displaying all of the files currently on the disc. You need to select all of this content, either by drawing a marquee with your cursor covering all of the files or click the CTRL Key + A at the same time. It's extremely important that all of the files are selected otherwise the install will not work.
- Next, right-click anywhere on the highlighted files and select Copy.
- To transfer the content to your computer, go back to the folder you created on your desktop, and click to open it. Right-click in the blank space, and choose Paste. This process may take some time.
- When transferring the content has completed, double-click Setup on the list of files. This will start the installation. Following the instructions in the dialog will successfully install the program onto your computer.
- If this doesn't work, perhaps you can't see the disc on your computer, or the content won't completely transfer, contact Serif for further instructions.
Another reason why you might receive this error message is when downloading software, for example from the Serif website. If the download hasn't fully completed, which could happen if there is a problem with your server or Internet connection, the content won't be transferred successfully to your computer. If you are trying to download your program and this applies to you, you can:
- Navigate back to where you downloaded the file from originally, and try the download again. Ensure you wait for it to completely finish and for the Setup Wizard dialog to appear.
If this won't work, then your anti-virus software could be restricting the setup from taking place.